Unix Desktop engineer Solaris
up to £260 per day
Unix desktop support engineer / Solaris
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Unix desktop support engineer to join well established blue chip organisation based at their prestigious offices in Belfast.
As a Unix Desktop support engineer you will help with implementation and management of the current desktop support, then in due course, to work on extending the capabilities of that support in a secure, reliable, flexible, reportable and support-resource efficient way.
• Proven work experience as a Desktop Support Engineer, Technical Support Engineer or
similar role within UK as Onsite Engineer.
• Hands-on experience with Solaris 2.6,Solaris 2.8 / Windows OS
• Working knowledge of office automation products and computer peripherals, like
printers and scanners
• Knowledge of network security practices and anti-virus programs.
• Implement software installation and perform upgrades to operating systems with
various software packages. Moreover, they build software that automates the
configuration and deployment of multiple types of IT core systems.
• Troubleshooting and debugging issues that pop up in computer hardware networks,
infrastructure, and operating systems. They repair server hardware, perform audits,
and ensure systems are working according to established policies and guidelines.
• Actively monitor Unix systems and run diagnostic tests on hardware to identify
problems and analyse system faults.
• User and Security Administration, Job Scheduling, Performance monitoring and
• Setting up NFS servers, configure exporting shares to clients and performing NFS
mounts at different Linux clients.
• Root cause analysis of issues arising in our existing multi-vendor environment (thin
client hardware, monitor hardware, USB (audio devices, webcam, smart card, HID
extended), Linux thin client operating system inc. X Window System (x11/x.org) and
USB Plug and Play subsystem (udev), Linux VDI client/receiver, Linux audio-visual
offloading client (real-time-communications, video streaming etc.)).
• Ability to perform remote troubleshooting and provide clear instructions.
• Excellent problem-solving and multitasking skill.
• Customer oriented attitude.
• Operating Systems Mainly AIX 4.3.3, Solaris 2.6,Solaris 2.8
• pSolid Unix desktop experience, ideally bash shell script debugging capability
• Reasonable knowledge of the PC/Linux boot process, from UEFI v ‘legacy BIOS’ PXE/HDD
through init / systemd
• Ability to troubleshoot the Linux graphics subsystem through GUI desktop
implementation on multi-monitor devices, from kernel/modules/window server (inc.
resize/rotate)/window manager/desktop(e.g. GNOME/MATE)
• USB Plug and Play (udev rules)
• Package management knowledge (rpm / deb / tarball)
• Well versed and hands on with Windows operating system.
So if you are a Unix Desktop support engineer looking for your next exciting contract please apply now!
N.B role is in inside IR35 so candidates will need to go through our preferred umbrella company.