Why make the switch to an IT career?
Are you looking to make a career change? Wondering why you should switch things up and transition to a career in IT?
From 2021 to 2023, the Bureau of Labor Statistics projects IT jobs to grow by 15% with 418,500 openings available each year.
The field of IT is growing rapidly and provides many exciting opportunities for people with the right skills. At the core, a career in IT can be an exhilarating as well as fulfilling experience.
The technology landscape is constantly changing, meaning that each day brings new challenges as well as opportunities. No two days will ever be the same, and you’ll always be learning new things and honing your skills.
In addition to being an engaging and rewarding career, an IT job also comes with great pay and benefits. With the right education and experience, you can quickly become a valued member of any team and move up in your career.
If you’re ready to take the plunge, below are some of the benefits of making a career switch to the IT industry.
- Firstly, pursuing an IT career can provide a secure and stable job opportunity with a good salary.
- There is a great demand for IT professionals around the world, making them highly sought after in many fields.
- IT careers often provide opportunities for growth, with employees gaining new skills and knowledge through on-the-job training.
- With the rise of technological advancements and digital transformation, there is no shortage of exciting projects and challenges to get involved in.
- You can often develop your skills in different areas, such as programming or network administration, giving you more options for advancement.
- The IT industry is constantly changing as well as evolving so there is always something new to learn and do.
- Those in IT have the opportunity to specialize in various areas and become experts in their fields.
- No one is ever too old to join the industry.
- An IT careers offer flexibility in terms of location and work hours, allowing you to find the perfect balance between work and life.
- Finally, you will have a chance to work with cutting-edge technology, learn new skills and keep up with the ever-evolving tech industry.
What skills are needed for an IT career?
UK-based tech startups’ venture capital investment increased by 130% in 2020 – 2021, and the demand for skilled IT professionals is on the rise.
To successfully make the transition into this dynamic and ever-evolving field, below are some of the skills you’ll need depending on your chosen area.
- Attention to detail
- Work under pressure
- Problem-solving skills
- Ability to multitask
- Time management
- Written and verbal communication
- Network configuration
- Database management
- Hardware deployment
- Data analysis
- Machine learning
- Cloud computing
- Operating system (OS) knowledge
- Open Source Technology Integration
What types of IT careers are available?
Switching IT careers can seem like a daunting task, but, the good news is that there are a large variety of exciting paths available. With the massive surge in demand for technology skills, here are some of the amazing career options that IT offers:
- Software Developer
- Desktop Support Engineer
- Data ScientistCall Centre
- Systems Analyst
- Project Manager
- Software Engineer
- Business Analyst
- IT Support Analyst
- Help Desk Technician
- Cloud System Engineer
- Database Administrator
- Support Specialist
- Quality Assurance Analyst
- IT Security Specialist
- Network Engineer
- Web designer
Making the switch – what to expect
Making the switch to an IT career can be intimidating, but it’s also incredibly rewarding. With an IT career switch, you can look forward to learning new skills that will open up opportunities for a variety of roles.
Plus, there’s no shortage of job opportunities. You can explore different fields, such as software engineering, mobile or web app development, network repair, or artificial intelligence. You’ll get to work in cutting-edge technologies alongside a talented community of colleagues.
The best part? You’ll enjoy the potential for increased job security, as well as an expansive salary range that often includes generous benefits packages.
Steps necessary to switch to a new IT career
1. Acquire any necessary skills, training, and certifications
First things first: ensure you have the necessary knowledge and certifications. Find out about certifications that may be relevant and research training programs available. Once you have identified gaps, you can create a plan to bridge them.
2. Research the right type of IT jobs (plus its requirements) for your skills and interests
Feeling the pull to switch your IT career? Wondering which direction is best for you? Researching IT jobs and what they entail can help you identify the types of roles that might be the most suited to you – and bring you closer to taking the plunge into a fresh start.
3. Network with other professionals in the new field
Everybody’s career journey is different, but one thing we all have in common is a need for strong connections. Engaging with the right networking groups, attending events, and finding the right mentors will open up a world of possibilities.
Ensure you put yourself out there because every connection could make all the difference.
4. Update your resume and portfolio to reflect your skills and experience in the new field
One of the most important steps in an IT career switch is updating your resume and portfolio so that it accurately reflects your skills and experience in the IT field. This will give prospective employers a clear understanding of why you’re the perfect candidate for the job.
5. Start with available entry-level jobs
Even though an entry-level position may not provide the salary or prestige that more experienced job roles do, they still offer great learning opportunities. As you take on new responsibilities and get familiar with the industry, you’ll quickly develop in-demand skills that can help power your next step up the ladder.
Changing careers at 40 – Is it possible?
The truth is, no one is ever too old to start something new. Most people think that it’s too late to switch careers at 40, but you can actually do it. It may take a little bit of hard work and dedication, but with the right mindset, you can make the switch.
Take IT for example. If you’re looking to switch to an IT career, there is no better time than now. Technology is constantly evolving and improving, which presents limitless opportunities to enter a promising career path.
With the right training, certification, and experience, you can make a successful switch into a lucrative IT career and quickly become an essential asset to any organization.
There are plenty of amazing resources and tools available from online courses to hackathons that can help you gain those invaluable tech skills. Therefore, whether you’re in your 30s, 40s, or above, there’s never been a better time to make the switch.
All it takes is a few smart steps. Identify your transferable skills, take IT training courses, as well as network with people already in the field – and you could be on your way to a rewarding new IT career.
Tips for a successful IT career switch
- Firstly, take an IT course to become familiar with the industry and the latest technologies.
- Gain experience by completing internships or volunteering in IT-related roles.
- Take advantage of resources like online tutorials and courses that can help you learn more about the field.
- Create also a portfolio of skills that can be adapted to different job functions.
- Network with professionals in the industry and stay up to date with the most current trends
- Also, reach out to potential employers and demonstrate your enthusiasm for the role.
- Take on certification courses in addition to exams as necessary.
- Finally, stay flexible and open to new opportunities that may come your way during the transition.
Conclusion – Is the IT career switch worth it?
Well, have you ever felt like your current job wasn’t challenging enough? If so, a career in IT may be the answer. With a career in IT, you’ll never be bored. You’ll get to work on cutting-edge technology and solve complex problems every day.
Generally, IT jobs are often quite lucrative — if it’s a long-term career path you’re looking for, IT may be just what you’re looking for
Plus, with the advancements in technology, IT professionals are always in high demand – giving you job security. Moreover, IT jobs typically have excellent salaries and benefits packages.
So, if you’re looking for something more stimulating and rewarding, consider making the switch to an IT career!
Are you an IT Specialist looking to take the next step in your IT career journey?
Finally, if you’re an IT Specialist, your dream job is within reach with GTS. With our comprehensive list of available positions, there’s something for everyone. Our clients are some of the top players in the industry looking to fill their vacant roles.
If you think you have the skills and experience. GTS have some fantastic opportunities, you can view our latest jobs on our pages job. If you would like to talk to one of our friendly team about any of our role, please contact us today